Jefferson Swivel and Secretary

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Upholstered Pieces


I have began to make upholstered furniture, kind of in the same style of the 18th and 19th century work I normally do. I have never really seen how upholstered frames go together so I build all mine with mortise and tenon joints, later finding out most frames made by companies are done with dowel construction which apparently is strong enough, so a mortise and tenon would be even better and much stronger. I use a basic fabric of Osnaburg for everything to have the look of a period piece. The webbing in the seat make for very comfortable furniture. I also use cotton batting to give a fluffy and less modern feel. I am going to make one when I have time for my house so I can put it through a durability test of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment