Jefferson Swivel and Secretary

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

And the paint goes on...

Here is what is known as "in the white". A chair ready for paint and begging for color.

Here the first color is going on. This is Terra Cotta Red. I always start with the undercarriage and work my way up. The bottom of the stretchers get the first dose of color and I always complete an individual part before moving onto the next. You can also see my label I put on the underside or the seat. I sign and date every piece I make and glue on a paper label. The underside of the chair only gets a coat of Linseed Oil and will age to a golden brown color in just a few years.

After the whole chair is painted, I set it aside to dry at least for 4 or 5 hours. If you apply Milk Paint to soon to a previous color the water in the next color can soften the first making it a blob of a mess. This chair will be ready for the black tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment